Before You Start to Read
If it is a new book…
- What do you think it is going to be about?
- Let’s look at the front cover for some clues.
- What is in the picture?
- What is the title?
- Let’s read the blurb on the back.
If your child is already reading the book…
- Can you tell me what has happened in the story so far?
- Which character(s) do you like? Dislike? Why?
Completing the Reading Diary
- Write the title of the book, the date and the pages read
- Write a short comment on how well your child read
- Write down any words they found tricky
- Sign the record so that staff know who heard the child read